July 22nd is finally here. Today I had my first scan since learning of my tumor recurrence, and got a much better idea what's going on inside of me.
The scan looks good - the tumor is stable, and no longer growing, meaning it is responding to chemotherapy. That's very good news, and aligns with improvement of my symptoms. My double vision is much lighter, my gate is stronger. My voice still fades from time to time, and my right hand feels like it's sleeping - none of that interrupts anything I want to do.
I also learned that my liquid biopsy did not provide any information about my tumor. That's not great news, but it's also not the end of this chapter. The hope was that a tap of my spinal fluid would include some cells from the tumor (which is in my brainstem and upper spine), and that spinal fluid would reveal the tumor's genetic makeup. That information would allow doctors to better understand how the tumor is likely to act, and if it would respond to targeted therapies that address specific genetic mutations (which I learned apply to about 50% of gliomas, tumors like mine). Unfortunately, the tap didn't provide that information. My oncologist is discussing a cervical puncture with others in her department as a second chance to diagnose the tumor via a liquid biopsy. When and if that tap happens - all to be determined. Fortunately the effectiveness of the treatment means there is no need to rush.
I went on disability leave from my work starting last week, and am enjoying spending more time at home, cooking, and playing with Miriam. I do miss my work - especially the people there, but I have plenty to do, and am looking forward to some visits and travel in the next month. I'm happy to have the time to focus on parenting and my health.
Miriam and I attended an annual cultural festival at her school last week - families bring foods from their home country (there are many families from all over the world at her school) - and we represented America's Dairyland. What better way to represent Wisconsin than with some cheese fried in beer!
Thank you all for your cards, emails, food, companionship - it means everything to me, even if I'm a little slow to get back to you at times. If you're in the area, c'mon over for dinner sometime, or just for a walk. My door is open.
Thank you all for your cards, emails, food, companionship - it means everything to me, even if I'm a little slow to get back to you at times. If you're in the area, c'mon over for dinner sometime, or just for a walk. My door is open.

No comments:
Post a Comment