Monday, February 7, 2011

Boston, via Puerto Rico

Hola entusiastas del tumor!

It's been awhile, and so much has happened! Most importantly, I'm set to begin radiation on March 7th at Mass General in Boston. I'll be flying out next week to be fitted for a special radiation mask (which will likely double as my halloween costume). Then I'll head back March 7th for a six week radiation vacation.

What to do in Boston? Good question! If you know the area and have suggestions on places to eat, stay, explore, weekend trips, beach houses in cape cod, I'm all ears. Sarah is planning to come along on the trip, and we are looking into some free lodging options in the city. Ian and Zu were kind enough to offer Ian's childhood home outside the city, so we have some terrific options to choose from. I'm getting to know just how incredibly generous people can be, and have many thank yous to catch up on during my trip. An organization called Miles for Hope is picking up the tab for my next flight to Boston. I can hardly believe it.

But first! It's off to Puerto Rico. The wonderfully amazing and amazingly wonderful Josey family has offered up their place in Rincon for a monster dose of Vitamin D. I'm to stay out of the sun during and after radiation for a bit, so this is my chance to soak up mega rays and possibly soak up other things served in coconuts. What a wonderful gift. Stay tuned for updates from PR!

Speaking of wonderful gifts, the gang at Nelson Byrd Woltz (where I worked in Virginia last year) sent me a fancy camera that I'll be using to add photos to the blog. If you ever want to meet the finest people in the whole world, drive to Charlottesville and drop in on Park Street. Thank you everyone there... and especially to Breck, Mary and Paul for your thoughtfulness and generosity. I am at a complete loss for words in expressing my gratitude. So I'll just have to visit in person instead for a round of hugs and hi-fives. Thank you!!!!

I took in the Super Bowl this weekend at two parties - one at my parent's house (where I spent most of the time chasing my nephew Ben around, who delighted in stealing my wallet and squealing, "I've got your money!") and the other at Sarah's, where a dozen or so friends came by to celebrate. I added an antipasti plate to the spread...

And I read a wonderful Calvin Trillin book, "About Alice," which I would recommend to anyone. Of my favorite passages... "The measure of how you held up in the face of a life-threatening illness was not how much you changed but how much you stayed the same, in control of your own identity." Very true.

5 comments:

Luc Mehl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luc Mehl said...

Snak! A few places to check out in Boston: The Milky Way Lounge in Boston had a bubble-dome hockey game when I was there. Nothing says 'sweeeeet' like a bubble-dome hockey game. Good pizza too. I also really like the arboretum. There are some crazy thorned trees on top of a hill. Locust trees? I think that is it. And my favorite restaurant ever: Giacomo's in Little Italy.

I watched a horrible movie that you will like. Horrible is too strong. Bad narration and bad acting, but AMAZING dancing. LXD. Check it out. Don't bother with the non-dance scenes.

Take care bud.

-Luc

Karl Krause said...

Bubble dome hockey is my all-time favorite. I'm there! And it'll be wonderful to see the arboretum bud out as spring arrives. Thanks Luc!

Chris Martin said...

Karl! Mary and I are reading in Boston on the 12th, so if you're feeling up to it: POETRY! Would love to chill with you and Sarah during that time, so let's talk. And of course if you two want to head up NYC ways at all, we've got you.

Lucy Kenyon said...

I was reading your blog, gripped, but had to futz with the cookies to see comments, then when I went to fb I had somehow created an event called "Karl Krause". Would that I could take credit for that event . I'm lost in cyberspace without your gonzo TA guiding hand.

That's one crazy pizza pie. This is why I became a citizen.

Go show teach those boricuans some Wisconsin grit.