Wednesday, November 27, 2019

A simple thing like a snowfall

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.  I hope you all have a wonderful holiday and take time to really think about what and who you are thankful for, and that you have the opportunity to share that with the people in your life.

Health

I finished my sixth and final course of chemotherapy yesterday.  120 pills over six months, and results as good as I could hope for.  I'm feeling well, have plenty of energy, the tumor remains stable, and I'm delighted to be finished.  I washed the last pills down with some infused water inspired by Jason, had a high five with Sarah, and then to bed.

The plan now is to wait and see.  I have a scan again in mid January, and will have scans on a bimonthly basis after.  The frequency of the scans is about all I have at the moment for any indication of what to expect.  A change in my scans will likely start a series of spinal taps and a new course or treatment, but that all remains to be seen.  In the meantime, I give all the attention to my health and the people I love.

Life

We awoke to a bright new world this morning, apropos to finishing my medication, and set out to explore it.




Life is settling down into a winter routine.  Less travel, more time at home.  I enjoy cooking meals for Sarah, Miriam and occasional guests, including some experiments (octopus last week, which Miriam said is her favorite food... though that seemed to be more about being outrageous than fidelity to the true champions: chocolate chip pancakes and mac and cheese).

Sarah and I had a weekend on the North Shore of Lake Superior last week, while Miriam stayed with my mother.  It was the first time we've done that since her birth, and we had a wonderful time together.  Our room was close to a geothermally-heated outdoor pool, right on the water's edge.  I loved listening to the waves crash against the granite shore while swimming under freezing air.  More please!



Miriam and I went to Chergosky Park yesterday evening ahead of the snowstorm, a small playground not too far from our house, but one we don't go to often.  Knowing it may be the last time we'll see it without snow for awhile, we made the most it - running, shouting, and racing down the slides together.  It reminded me of the last time we were there - an usually cold August evening, with the first touch of fall in the air.  I wasn't feeling up or able for running and sliding, my voice was faint enough that I had trouble keeping a conversation with another parent there.

How much better I feel now.  How elated I am to be feeling so well.  How thankful I am for the friends and family who give me strength.  Thank you for being here with me.  Love.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the gifts you have given us, Karl. We wish you good health and many simple pleasures in the coming year. We are so grateful you are in our lives. Love, Sallie and David